Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Swapbot: Outgoing July Prayer Flag


I'm a little late with the making of my July Prayer flag, i don't know where the time is going. This is the second flag i've made for this swapbot series, remember the first one i made for June? The one i received back too, it was amazing. This July prayer flag is off to Courtney in the USA and this time i opted for a different technique completely...

Whilst last time i sewed everything, this time i used paint, a medium I'm far more comfortable with. I used an old t-shirt as the base, which i won't lie, isn't the easiest fabric to paint on but i think it came out well anyway. Red, gold and black acrylic paint was used to paint my traditional roses, those of a tattoo style, I had a quote from Mulan in the back of my mind whilst making this flag, illustrating the meaning...

'The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all'.

I decorated the envelope with the same flowers and a little card with the golden rose explaining the meaning behind my flag and a little about who i am. Pink tissue paper wrapped up the flag and was sealed with a sticker of an illustration i drew for my mum one Mother's day.

What do you think to my flag? I'll have to get working on my August prayer flag soon, I'm thinking of a more abstract design next time, no two flags will ever be the same!

Amy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment